For Industry, Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry and Mining
- Machinery and equipment, including equipment for the transportation of goods, and materials for use in approved industries, and parts thereof, agriculture (including livestock, fisheries (including aqua-culture), forestry and mining (including the exploration, exploitation and storage of geothermal energy), as approved by the Competent Authority; and
- Building for installation or extension of industrial enterprises as approved by the competent authority.
For Purposes Connected With Tourism
Building materials for first installation of approved hotels, guest-houses and other facilities and attractions and approved renovations and extensions.; Equipment and appliances for initial equipping of approved hotels and for approved extensions and renovations; Equipment for use in sports and recreational activities as approved by the Competent Authority; and Motorcars and public transport-type passenger motor vehicles including coaches and minibuses for use as approved by the Competent Authority; Equipment for use in sports and recreational activities as approved by the Competent Authority; and Motorcars and public transport-type passenger motor vehicles including coaches and minibuses for use as approved by the Competent Authority.
- Boats, boat and navigational equipment and boat fittings, sail canvas, marine engines, fuel and lubricants for services as approved by the Competent Authority.
- Navigation aids.
For Approved Purposes Associated With Aircraft
Aircraft, competent parts, accessories, instruments grounds and technical equipment and motor vehicles for aircraft services and operations including air clubs, as are approved; Fuel lubricants for approved aircraft services and operations.
For Educational and Cultural Purposes
- Supplies, equipment, instruments and apparatus, tools, books (including workbooks and activity books), specimens illustrate of natural history and sciences, for approved educational and cultural institutions and purposes , including for museums, zoos and historical societies; Materials for the construction, renovation and extension of approved educational and cultural institutions; Equipment and supplies for sports, as approved by the Competent Authority; exploration, exploitation and storage of geothermal energy, as approved by the competent Authority; and
- Academic robes admitted as such by the Competent Authority.
- Equipment and vehicles drugs, medical surgical and laboratory supplies for approved hospitals and veterinary institutions, including approved institutions providing outpatient health care; Materials for the construction, furnishing, replacement or extension of approved hospitals and veterinary institutions offering outpatients healthcare and furnishing for such health care facilities; Hearing aids, crutches manual and motorized wheelchairs, trusses, colostomy bags and similar appliances and apparatus, identifiable spare parts for the relief of permanent bodily disablement, including reading matter and articles specifically designed for the blind.
- Other goods catering to the needs of the mentally or physically handicapped and admitted as such by the Competent Authority; Tools of trade for the disabled, admitted by the Competent Authority; and Ambulances.
The Hotels Aid Ordinance
- Under the Hotels Aid Ordinance, imports of equipment and materials aimed at the construction or enlargements of hotels may be exempted from import duty. These concessions are granted in much the same way as the concessions under FIA, and the Ministry of Finance administers provisions.
- The Hotels Aid Ordinance provides relief from customs duties and pier duties on items brought into the country for use in construction, extension and equipping of a hotel of not less than 10 bedrooms. In addition, the income Tax Ordinance provides special tax relief benefits for a proprietor who has been granted a license under the Hotel Aids Ordinance. This stipulates that the gains of a hotel of more than 30 bedrooms are exempt from income tax for 10 years. If the hotel has less than 30 bedroom, gains or profits would be exempt from income tax for 5 years.
Income Tax Act
The Minister of Trade has power under the FIA to exempt companies from Corporation Tax for periods of up to ten, twelve or fifteen years (depending on various factors e.g. the local value added).
Duty Free Concessions for Returning Nationals
The Federal Cabinet introduced a policy of granting total duty free concession on household and personal items to nationals who lived abroad for ten years and are returning to the Federation to take up permanent residence. Returning Nationals should indicate the specific time they will take up permanent residence in Nevis.
Duty Free Concessions for Agricultural Purposes
Guideline for Granting Concessions
Application should be submitted to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, who would seek the advice of the Department of Agriculture before submission to the Ministry of Finance, on the advice of the Ministry of Agriculture, shall grant duty free concession on the approved items. Applications for concession relating to new projects should be accompanied by a detailed project proposal.